Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Arthur Vanleeuwen - Hardwood Cork

Chef: Arthur Vanleeuwen - Hardwood Popes Quay

It is so easy to cook a simple meal for yourself. I have lived alone for the most part and when it came to eating I would always find the time to cook something simple that was quick and delicious.

Spoil yourself and get some interesting things for your larder. a nice virgin olive oil. a quality balsamic vinegar that is 8 years old or more. some mixed peppercorns and a pepper mill. some Japanese soy and or sea salt. some Tabasco. some fresh herbs or better yet for the ultimate in compromise some herbs in paste form that you can squeeze like toothpaste. I have some ginger, good paprika, some cumin. some onions, I prefer red. some garlic, you can get paste form of that too. some lemons and some limes. some pasta like filled tortellini, ravioli or fresh spaghetti. a couple tins of whole roma tomatoes. whatever veg you like and some nice wine to wash it all down with.

With this basic arsenal you can cook almost anything you come across whether it be fish or meat.
When I go to the market I look for whatever strikes my fancy. then I pick up just enough for two meals.

The secret to cooking any meat like pork, steak, lamb or chicken, even fish, is to marinade first and then cook over high heat and let the thing rest to finish it off.
For example, lamb. I buy the gigot chops for myself. they are cheap and taste pretty good. I will open the packet, take out the absorbing thing under the meat and in the tray I will squeeze some herbs, garlic, sprinkle some olive oil, lemon and crack some pepper over it. if I have a bit of wine left over from a previous meal a splash some of that in there too. I'll flip the chops over and over until they are coated on either side and stick them in the fridge for a half hour or more.

I'll put some water on for pasta and to blanch veg then I'll do something for a half hour.
When i come back, the water is boiling so I will throw whatever veg I am having. let's say green beans. I’ll leave them in the water till they turn bright green. I'll get a slotted spoon, fish them out and run them under cold water. I'll let them drain. I'll put a non stick or a cast iron pan on the cooker for the chops. another for the veg. in the water, I'll toss in the pasta. when they float they are pretty much done. so I'll pour them off and in the pot I cooked them in I'll toss them with some olive oil, salt, herbs and cheese. I'll cook the chops on each side for about two minutes. toss the beans with some olive oil, salt pepper and thin sliced red onion in the other pan for about two minutes. when they are cooked I'll squeeze a wedge of lemon over them. yummy. put the chops on the plate, drizzle the juice in the pan over it. arrange your pasta and vet. you are good to go. enjoy!

No comments: